Toxic emissions force family to leave home
By Brandon Evans
"They call her the canary.
For more than a year, a range of random illnesses plagued Lisa Parr.
"I started to get a little sick," she said. "I thought I was getting the flu. I was just tired and achy and started going through some little problems.
"Then I started breaking out in a rash. It literally covered my entire body - my scalp all the way down to the bottoms of my feet," Parr recalled. "I made multiple trips to the emergency room. I had six doctors working on me, and they couldn't figure out what it was."
Today, her arms and legs bear pock-like scars from rashes.
Lisa first felt sick in fall 2008. As the immense trees across her 40-acre homestead droppd pecans, Lisa accumulated a host of unexplained ailments. The typical remedies didn't work.
"I had nine rounds of steroids in six months," she said. "They just blew me up and didn't get rid of the problem."
In May 2008, Lisa married Bob Parr on golden-colored stone steps at his country home in east Wise County in the Allison community. The back porch overlooks a picturesque setting. Horses and cows graze lazily in a green pasture. Denton Creek winds along the back of the property, bringing with it a lush river of trees along either side.
It seems impossible such a scene would provide the backdrop for the poisoning of the Parr family by a laundry list of industrial neurotoxins.
Lisa was treated by eight different doctors over the course of a year. A source of the sickness was never determined. In June 2009, after exhausting everything he knew medically, her internal specialist suggested that something in the environment might be causing her various ailments.
In early fall 2009, she visited an environmental doctor who confirmed the presence of neurotoxins in her blood that matched chemicals used in natural gas production.
Toxic plume" (More>>>>)